The Van

Sunday 26 October 2014

Scuttle Panel.Part 2

Hello!
Back in November 2012 I posted about the leaking scuttle panel.There was a gap between the panel and the windscreen,which allowed water to run down the screen and lay on top of the engine.This can be bad as the injectors will get very rusty.The van is parked up in the week and when there has been a lot of heavy rain,a big puddle formed on the top of the engine.
After a bit of research I came up with a fix.This didn't entirely go to plan though!After removing all the screws that hold the two piece scuttle panel in place,I was unable to shift the two large nuts that hold on the wiper arms.This would have allowed full removable of the scuttle panels.They were quite loose though,so I used a marker pen along the top to get a line where the panel should touch the windscreen.Next I ran a bead of blck sika EBT along the length of the screen,just under the line.Then pushed the panel back onto the screen and replaced the screws.Also ran a bead of sika where the two panels are joined.Smooth off sika and job done!

It's rained a few times since and the top of the engine has remained dry,so the fix seems to be successful!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah even RV we hired last time had this problem. Though the company did fixed it but I was wondering how they would have done it. I thought that campervan hire Australia company knew someone real genius but now I know it’s a smart fix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephen, it's been a while since your last post. Hope all is well :)

    ReplyDelete